MISSION STATEMENT: SOMERVILLE LOCAL FIRST (SLF) ENGAGES BUSINESS AND COMMUNITY LEADERS IN BUILDING ECONOMIES THAT ARE GREEN, LOCAL, AND FAIR
Somerville Local First works to build a sustainable local economy and vibrant community here in Somerville, MA. We do this by supporting locally owned and independent businesses and promoting sustainable economic development. Launched in May 2008, SLF now connects over 170 members, including businesses, artists, nonprofits, and community members in support of our vision.
- We distribute two publications per year (The SLF Coupon Book and A Local’s Guide to Somerville) for free in the community
- We manage campaigns to increase local purchasing throughout the year (The10% Shift, Shift Your Shopping, Move Your Money).
- We provide technical assistance to local entrepreneurs to help them run more sustainable and profitable enterprises.
- We connect members to other members and the community.
- We support and advocate for policy that supports Local Independent businesses and a sustainable local community.
- We connect our members to help them make their businesses more sustainable, including reducing environmental impacts and localizing their purchasing.